GPS

2000lux

I have to buy a new GPS. What is the best / favorite one that I can update when I need to and covers at least the US, if not more countries?

shootist

PRO user
A few years back I was doing a ride-along (actually I was following in my own car) on Operation Falcon where a task force of local, state and federal law enforcement agencies executed multiple pre-dawn arrest warrants. Quite fun on my part to be part of a high-speed caravan rousting the bad guys.

I was car 4 in the caravan with 3 more behind me. Every place we went, Cars 1 and 2 went around the target location and came in a back way. I followed Car 3 and we would get there first. Worked great. Cops on scene ahead of me but I'd still get everyone else rolling up.

After it was over, I was chatting with Car 3 driver during the debrief and asked him about the "surround scenario" with cars coming from other directions and he laughed. He explained that Car 1 had a Tom Tom, Car 2 had a Magellan and he had a Garmin. While the others were accurate, they were slow and the drivers were already past the turns by the time they were announced.

I now have a Garmin.

canuckcam

Thing is, it varies per location. Past the glittery user interface, you have to know who provides the street data and the current dataset. Most datasets are half a year to a year behind in terms of street names. So say, Navteq 2009 Q4 data that was just released to the manufacturers, they have to translate that into their GPS software language then release it as an update. Then how well has Navteq updated your area? In Toronto a few years ago, Navteq had more streets but now TeleAtlas seems to have the upper hand. Google Maps uses Tele Atlas data and Microsoft Bing uses Navteq.

You're welcome for not answering your question! :)

SeattleShooter

My GPS is trying to kill me. Puts me down one ways, tells me to drive off a cliff because it thinks there is a road there, and it has the worst pick of food POIs. Oh, it's a Tom Tom. But, overall, I love it and want to get the new one. From what I was told, if it does not have a street, you can create one and update it as much as you would like. Plus, fix one ways and so on. So, I like my Tom Tom.

2000lux

Garmin used to make one that was also a Palm Pilot, or Handspring organizer. Does any one still make such a thing? My Palm Pilot used to be my GPS so I'm really looking to replace both. I figure that if I get a smart phone, it will probably double as a date book / organizer / camera. Most of them seem to have GPS these days too, but I thought it might be worth while to have a dedicated device in my truck and the phone can be back up. :confused:

Shootblue

My iphone mapping is about as good as anything else available. I don't need a voice to tell me to turn in one mile.

SimonW

I used to have a Tom Tom, but have a Garmin now. I find it to be pretty good as it reads out street names as well. Only trouble is that in really highly built up locations like London the display framerate really drops and I have missed turnings as a result. Why can't they put high quality graphics chips in these things?

Several of the smart phones have a built in gps feature, including some of the lower end lg phones.

Other than that the only way I would go is garman, they have been in the gps industry for a very long time. Starting out making the cross country navigation units that backpackers and the military use. You can also update the maps online and I believe with the latest units it is free as well.

canuckcam

Mapopolis used to be the best mapping program on the PocketPC with the best customer service ever, but they got bought out and that product was cancelled.

.. and people still use Palm products? :)

Any Smartphone should get you going. Look at an Android phone or if you're an Apple fanboy, an iPhone or iPod Touch. Just be aware that the Touch doesn't have real GPS, but assisted GPS and uses WiFI access points or something like that. It's "scarily" accurate in urban areas though. Don't bother with any Symbian products as product development is effectively dead but it's still being sold.

And after you've verified your smartphone does everything you want, make sure it still works as a phone. :D

also I don't know if it is true for all verizon phones or just mine but the gps feature is a pay deal either you shell out $10 per month or $3 for a single use. To me that keeps me using the garman but either way the option is there, and it is possible that on a higher plan it is included gratis.

Baltimore Shooter

A GPS is a waste of money I say. A good map will do work just fine. I used one while on a shoot in Norman, OK (the Producer requested it) and the damn thing would tell me to turn while I was in the middle of the intersection. Not coming up on the intersection, in the middle of the damn thing. After the first day, I said the hell with it and shut it off.

Just get a decent map you'll be alright.

Warren

jeremycohn

I have a (three-year-old) Garmin C550. It is definitely worth it to pay annually to upgrade the maps (albeit a ripoff). The Garmin's seem to rarely freeze or become glitchy. However, they don't seem to play well with highways. If I want to enter a highway and a particular overpass, the GPS usually doesn't recognize the highway. There are a lot of instances where the GPS doesn't know that certain left turns are illegal, etc.

canuckcam

There are a lot of instances where the GPS doesn't know that certain left turns are illegal, etc.
GPS maps makes stupid drivers even worse.

And Baltimore, depending on the GPS chipset in the receiver, the accuracy differs wildly. Essentially the algorithms are all different, it's not just about the sensitivity of the GPS signal. A lot of the data sent to the mapping program is wrong, so both the GPS receiver and the mapping software do some error correction. If the mapping software maps according to the raw GPS output, you'll be hopping all over the place due to errors. So the mapping program interprets the data and gives you an average as most GPS units outputs one position update per second. So because of your speed and lack of warning from the GPS (turn left at approaching intersection) it'll tell you to turn when you're actually IN the intersection going at 60 clicks.

adam

We were discussing this in another thread, but the Motorola Android has a full on GPS on board and it uses Google Maps and all of the associated bells and whistles for navigation. When you put it in the cradle the GPS pops up.

All hear say.

Rad

(Stand-by for old man rant...)

Some of the kids at work use a GPS... and they never know where they are. The GPS will tell them how to get some place, but because they depend on it they can't tell anyone else how to get there. Many times they can't find common places without the id of the GPS. And they don't know what's near by.... they just numbly turn where told with no idea how to get there.

I own a GPS... but I'm a paper map guy... I like to see the big picture.

GPS?

I've always been a paper or book map kind of guy and I know almost every area within 75 miles of our station but I have to admit, once you use a GPS a few times you'll be hooked!
Our station got several refurbished Tom Tom 130's for $60 each on amazon.com. We figured for that price if they only half worked and lasted 6 months they were worth the money. Overall we're quite pleased. We had to return a couple that had issues but the exchange wasn't a big hassle. I like the idea that you can plug them into a computer and update the maps (for a fee of course) and Tom Tom has a unique feature that allows other users to make updates and corrections and these can be downloaded for free.The model we have, the 130one does not have the text to voice feature but since it always displays the next road you need a quick glance at it tells me all I need to know when I'm in unfamiliar territory.This feature will cost you an extra $50-$100 on most models but some people can't live without it. This model can be a little sluggish with directions but gets them out in time. I also love the fact that it will find almost every gas station, restaurant, or whatever I program it for and tell me how far it is from where I'm at. And unlike a cell phone, the farther you get into nowhere, the better the sat signal gets. Even for an old-school map user, this is a VERY handy device to have. As far as brand, I've heard the most positive things about Garmin and the most negative about Tom Tom. I however, like mine.

MtnShooter

So, do the cell phones that do gps have to be within tower range to work, or do they work off the satellite like Tom Tom, Garmin, etc?

For the past year I've used my first GPS system with routing (first GPS was a Garmin used for fun with waypoints I had to enter and directions were as the crow flies). I know my way around most of the region I live and work but wanted a little assistance finding new addresses. I use a Garmin product on the Blackberry Storm with Verizon. GPS from phone is fully accessible and program costs a total of $100 (no monthly fee). Since it's using a server fresh maps and traffic data can be used to find fastest route. Has helped on many occasions. I ignored an usual route to a familiar place only to find a sea of brake lights over a hill. Some routes are not best and my local knowledge is usually better but I leave it running. Doesn't like HOV roads and will avoid them at all hours. Also assumes you can go posted speed even if road is endless string of traffic lights (red, of course). Since it's on my phone it's always with me and handy, even when I am not in my car traveling with other crew. Still recommend the paper maps. Can't find exact address but came in handy once when device spent greater part of an hour trying to get a fix.

-pete