Is this for real?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdelarm

I hope I'm reading this ad wrong or they simply made a typo.

KOIN videojournalist job

News Video Journalist

KOIN-TV, a division of Emmis Communications and Portland’s CBS affiliate in the 24th market, is seeking a full-time Video journalist. Searching for a creative candidate able to think “outside of the box.” Position will coordinate and gather audio and video material, including file video, with which to edit news tape in full reference to script. Seeking knowledge of videography, news editing, microwave/satellite operations and nonlinear editing. Bilingual a plus.
REQUIREMENTS:

Three years minimum commercial television news experience as a news photographer required.

Knowledge of microwave van set up and operation preferred.

Candidates must be able to function effectively and professionally in a multitude of situations ranging from large crowds to remote areas while carrying electronic news gathering equipment under deadline pressure.

Computer experience on PC, non-linear editing, Sony DNE preferred.

The ability to operate a news vehicle in traffic and off-road is required as well as the ability to focus on images through a viewfinder for extended periods of time.

Manual dexterity is required to set up and operate ENG/SAT camera systems and editing stations. Must be responsible for the safe handling of ENG equipment and vehicle.

Knowledge of satellite truck operations preferred.

Must maintain a valid driver’s license and a willingness to travel on short notice.

Ability to write and report on camera preferred.
Must be able to work various day and night shifts, including weekends. Schedule subject to change.

HOW TO APPLY:
No phone calls please. Apply on line at www.emmis.wfrecruiter.com Also, please mail your cover letter, resume, and tape ASAP to:

KOIN-TV
News Video journalist Search
222 SW Columbia
Portland, OR 97201
Fax (503) 464-0655

IM confused...are Portland photographers now writing and reporting too? I would hope this pays a **** load of money for all these skills required...now...do you wear a tie as a reporter or jeans of an engineer...I guess you could say they are really "thinking outside the box" :eek:

Lenslinger

Though one of the wordiest job postings I've seen in awhile...

(Candidates must be able to function effectively and professionally in a multitude of situations ranging from large crowds to remote areas while carrying electronic news gathering equipment under deadline pressure ...Who's writing their job postings - Orson Welles?)

...it isn't that unusual for writing and reporting skills to be PREFERRED. They'd probably prefer you work 20 hours of overtime a week FREE, but that's just the greedy nature of your average television station.

As the pace of technology continues to quicken, fewer and fewer people will be required to create a daily newscast. Just ask your buddies down in production, that is if Parkervision hasn't cleared them all out just yet.

In the newsroom, producers too used to watching Elimidate Marathons all day will have to learn to edit their own video. Assignment Editors once relegated to the scanners will have to develop producing skills as well as friends at the cop shops. Feed room and editor positions will evaporate as satellites and servers learn to play cards without them.

All this cost-cutting will surely send upper management into a frenzy and they'll soon turn their beady little eyes on their field crews. Tiny cameras, laptop editors and magic backpacks will put the 'E' back in E.N.G. Meanwhile, reporters will be asked to shoot and photogs will be required to write/produce/research and on occasion, file their own reports.

I'm not saying the photog as we know it is doomed. Not just yet, anyway. Operations accustomed to quality will hopefully always utilize the two-person (or more)news crew. But as the number of media outles simultaneously multiply and downsize, EVERYONE will be expected to multi-task.

If you don't believe me, re-read the above job posting. It's surely a sign of more to come. My only question is, will our salaries grow along woth our responsibilities?

tdelarm

All good points you make but Portland is no small market. Last I checked it was # 24 on the list, which is why I posted the topic in the first place. Of course you’d expect this in smaller markets as that’s the way it’s been since I’ve been in the business but not one-man-band reporters in Portland unless I’ve been sleeping.

I would expect this say coming from local cable news such as the fairly new NWCN but not from a long established affiliate such as KOIN.

Are Portland reporters Sag or AFTRA? Doesn’t look like KOIN photographers have union rep.

Maybe they are going through some changes. According to tvjob.com one guy named Dan Salamone is both GM, ND and station manager so who knows.

I just find it interesting seems as the Portland market is somewhat close to home for me.

SeattleShooter

Originally posted by Lenslinger:
...Who's writing their job postings - Orson Welles?)
No I hear they have Federico Fellini there.

They are fun to read. I like this part
The ability to operate a news vehicle in traffic and off-road is required as well as the ability to focus on images through a viewfinder for extended periods of time.
To brake this down. If you get this job, not only will you report but you will go offroading in a live truck! Oh what fun that must be. They must have Hummers? Do I get to shoot for long periods of time the same time we are offroading?

tdelarm

I guess that would be ok providing you make sure your frozen mast is down before driving off road! I hear that will make you tip over.

Also, try the new stabilized camera viewfinder; it works well for this application when shooting in rough terrain plus the viewfinder will rotate so you can shoot your own sit-down/stand-up.
:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.