Shooting from atop vans and trucks

Tim Ward

Hi! I'm new here! I just have a question for you guys:

How many of you shoot atop various *non*-ENG vans and trucks on occasion?

Thanks!

cameragod

The world is my tripod and anything that moves is my dolly
So yes… from truck and vans to cars and bikes... taking shoot and move to new meaning.

marstaton4

Saw a photog shooting on top of a E-350 a couple weeks ago and had the reporter standing on the roof without a riser/platform on it. The popping and crunching noises made me cringe.

Last edited:

cameragod

I used to carry a stepladder in my car and I could open it up flat and tie it down across roofracks to make an improvised shooting platform. Two tripod legs to one roofrack, the third on a ladder rung and there was room for me to stand without denting the roof. If I had time I would strap the bowl of the tripod down to the ladder. Still had to hope no one would rock the van but it worked.
Not for moving shots obviously.

jajack71

Once Upon A Time

I shot a Breast Cancer walk last fall and I shot from the top of the truck. Now that I work at a union shop this type of activity can get me fired.

Land Rover

When it calls for it, yes. Especially if you're on a scene and need to see past something obstructing your view. Done a few live shots that way as well. Reporter was on the ground for those.

Run&Gun

It's funny to watch movies and see the photog and reporter on top of a satellite truck standing in front of the dish doing a LS... I used to work with a sat truck op who said he didn't even like being INSIDE the truck while he was transmitting.

zac love

Personally I only liked standing on top of the roof if there was something to stand on.

Maybe I have too weak of a stomach, but I really didn't want to damage the roof of the vehicle or fall off a roof with camera & tripod.

Tim Ward

Saw a photog shooting on top of a E-350 a couple weeks ago and had the reporter standing on the roof without a riser/platform on it. The popping and crunching noises made me cringe.
Ok, now that's just uncalled for.

I used to carry a stepladder in my car and I could open it up flat and tie it down across roofracks to make an improvised shooting platform. Two tripod legs to one roofrack, the third on a ladder rung and there was room for me to stand without denting the roof. If I had time I would strap the bowl of the tripod down to the ladder. Still had to hope no one would rock the van but it worked.
Not for moving shots obviously.
I dig that idea of using a ladder!

code20photog

I shot a Breast Cancer walk last fall and I shot from the top of the truck. Now that I work at a union shop this type of activity can get me fired.
Some here. We actually were allowed to shoot from the roof of one of our vans during an Occupy near-riot, but we were harnessed to the mast of all things. My boss was the one who rigged it up and ok'd it, so I figure he was the one on the hook, so to speak.

satop

Just be careful, a few years ago, during the vet implosion in Philly, OSHA hit one local station with fines after a photog was on the roof without railings or a harness. I am not sure what the fine was, but don't think anyone's boss would like to get one.

We, at my station are not allowed on the roofs unless we are wearing a safety harness.