State of the Union Address

Status
Not open for further replies.

Run&Gun

This isn't political, just about the coverage. I was flipping back and forth between CBS, NBC and FOX tonight(didn't check out ABC) during the State of the Union Address and noticed that NBC, CBS and FOX(?) were doing it in HD(I have an HD set obviously) and it looked good, nice color and a sharp picture on CBS and NBC, just like it should, but FOX on the other hand just looked bad. I know it's a pool situation and all of the shots are coming out of the same cameras inside, but it just looked like a widescreen standard definition feed on FOX. I've been shooting HD for a couple of months now, but have just recently(this week) started really watching over-the-air High Definition, and I have to say that I'm really dissapointed in FOX if they were doing it in HD, but not as dissapointed as I will be come Sunday if the Super Bowl looks as bad as the State of the Union Address. I hope it was just some technical problems and they weren't doing it in HD, but just SD for some reason or another, otherwise they need to stop saying that they're "Broadcasting in 720P, the World's Finest High Definition Standard".

thru-the-lens

I didn't see the state of the union address tongiht. And I don't know if FOX carried the speech in HD or not.

Both CBS and NBC broadcast in 1080i and FOX is 720P. My Samsung reciever requires you to tell it the difference between the two when you select the channel. This is for the OVER THE AIR BROADCAST SIGNAL. Maybe that was your problem?

If you get the HD signal from your cable company maybe they are responsible for a crappy HD signal?

Have you noticed this difference on other FOX HD programs? At least you have sometime to play with it before super bowl sunday. Good Luck.

thru-the-lens.

[ February 03, 2005, 01:01 AM: Message edited by: thru-the-lens ]

Kent

For whatever reason, Fox was upconverted NTSC on their HD Satellite channel. I don't know what they were doing at the head end, but I flipped through the local HD channels as well and noticed the problem right away. I walked into our master control and we were correctly routing the Fox HD Digital Sat to our HD side. I agree, it looked pretty poor while the other networks looked great. The actual camera coverage was all pool so why the heck the folks at Fox network didn't catch it is anyone's guess!

Kent

It seems quite clear then that the problem was with the HD feed from FOX. Did something go wrong or was this as intended? Anybody have any answers?

[ February 03, 2005, 04:07 AM: Message edited by: scott abing ]

Run&Gun

Originally posted by Kent:
For whatever reason, Fox was upconverted NTSC on their HD Satellite channel. I don't know what they were doing at the head end, but I flipped through the local HD channels as well and noticed the problem right away. I walked into our master control and we were correctly routing the Fox HD Digital Sat to our HD side. I agree, it looked pretty poor while the other networks looked great. The actual camera coverage was all pool so why the heck the folks at Fox network didn't catch it is anyone's guess!

Kent
That was the answer I was looking for. Hope they don't make that mistake Sunday :)

Thru-the-lens: No it's not cable, I'm currently receiving HD over-the-air(although I'm planning on upgrading my Directv receiver to the HD/Tivo model shortly). Does that get old having to switch the set for different standards(1080 or 720)? My Sony automatically takes any standard and does the conversion to it's native resolution with no user input.

Over-the-air digital and HD still need work, but it is an improvement over SD. If only it as looked good over-the-air as it does coming right out of the F-900 onto an HD monitor...

M

<Mrs. Photog>

FOX was in fact Pool for the coverage. It was their cameras and their "talent" that provided coverage for all of the networks.

Run&Gun

Originally posted by <Mrs. Photog>:
FOX was in fact Pool for the coverage. It was their cameras and their "talent" that provided coverage for all of the networks.
OOPS...

I wonder if someone got chewed out over that one?

H

<HD Watcher>

If my memory serves me correctly on my new DirectTV HD receiver, the receiver switches automatically. Problem is, when you do switch, it takes a good 3-4 seconds to occur...meaning you get audio but a black screen while it switches.
I also had to have the local antenna installed and they run it down the same line until it's split at the reciever. You can program to read both so you don't have to switch between satellite and antenna signals.
Personally, I think CBS's football package looked far better than Fox's. And the other problem I've had with Fox is that the audio and video isn't always linked on their HD primetime programming. Maybe it's just the NY affiliate (which I have to get because the signal from the DC Fox can never be found).
As for last night, the Democrtic response looked much better than the head-on of POTUS. But the wide shots of the gallery looked very crisp.

Run&Gun

I've noticed lip sync problems on the WB, but the major networks have all looked pretty solid as far as audio goes, so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.