What are the do's/don'ts of driving with 4WD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

<Bluto Blutarsky>

I've just been handed a 2004 4WD Ford Explorer-- automatic...and 4H & 4L.

I've never ever been off-roading in my life...much less driven a 4WD vehicle on the city streets.

Can someone explain to me when to use 4H or 4L? Are there maximum speed limits?

PS-The Explorer is missing the owner's manual. Our CP is on vacation for 2-weeks. I'm in our Southern Bureau--our reporter is as clueless as I am about 4WD operation. He thinks you can max out at 45mph on 4WD--I seem to think you can go a litle faster.

Thanks!

Brooklyn

4L will put you in a low gear and will give the car a lot of power but you will not be able to go fast. So if you are pulling something, stuck somewhere, or need to climb a steep hill 4L is good to use. 4H will put you in high gears while turning on the 4x4.

Coug86

What part of the country are you in???...In most cases just leave it in Auto 4WD ...that will mainly transfer power...use 4wd H ...in ice, snow, or heavy rain....4wd L....is for when you are at low speeds and need extra power...like if you were in heavy snow or mud...don't need it that much. One thing to remember that will help with your Auto transmission...Make sure you turn your O/D off when driving in the city...cuts down on the transmission shifting back and forth when you at city speeds....turn to O/D on at highway speeds.....hope that helps a bit

That Camera Guy

The most important thing to remember is 4 wheel drive doesn't help you stop. Don't get over confident and drive faster than you should in bad weather.

N

<Nematode>

I had a tow truck operator tell me the difference between the off road performance of 2WD vs. 4WD as far as getting stuck is concerned.
He said "fifty feet".

Videodoc

In the Explorer, you can go normal road speed limits - 65-75mph - in 4W high. Generally, you don't want to keep it there for long distances (50 miles road trips) - and why would you anyway? It just wears on the transfer case and drops the MPG to near zero. A dozen miles here or there isn't going to hurt it.

If it has an auto setting, that generally works well, although on some vehicles it can be a bit unpredictable on patchy ice or snow - so put it in normal 4WD in those situations if it has that setting. (Auto switches between 4wd and 2wd - not 4L).

4WD low is for pulling out vehicles or climbing hills - usually about 15-25mph max. You'll know, because the vehicle will max out on rpms. Like Coug said, you'll never use it.

[ December 29, 2004, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: Videodoc ]

G

<geek>

manual 4x4 should lock the front to back axle or only give limited slip and will make the braking force of the front and rear the same. 80% of your stopping force on street is on the front. but on grave3l dirt etc you want more braking in the rear to prevent front lockup.

if you drive in 4x4 on dry pavment over about 45mph the front to rear drive will couple and YOU WILL GO INTO A SPIN. and without warning its a physics thing.

low gear is used on sand and rock climbing or to crawl up hills slowly, huge amount of torque if your turning you'll notice binding of the inner tire. never use 4low on dry pavement you drive train can snap.

and about what the tow truck driver said about that 50 ft further stuck he's right. and if you have a real high ridding souped up 4x4 its 100ft.

Videodoc

Originally posted by <geek>:
[QB] manual 4x4 should lock the front to back axle or only give limited slip and will make the braking force of the front and rear the same. 80% of your stopping force on street is on the front. but on grave3l dirt etc you want more braking in the rear to prevent front lockup.

if you drive in 4x4 on dry pavment over about 45mph the front to rear drive will couple and YOU WILL GO INTO A SPIN. and without warning its a physics thing.

Old school logic. This is a 2004 Explorer with ABS and electronically monitored traction. Your braking will be fine. You will not go into a spin over 45mph.

Lost in Alaska

My news vehicle is an '04 Explorer. The only challenges I have had with it are making tight turns while the 4WD is engaged. This is a problem almost any 4WD truck has. The front u-joints will bind slightly.

I have taken this truck to 70 in 4WD and had no problems with it.

As stated earlier, 4WD will help you go, it dosn't do sh!t to help you stop. ABS isn't that great on ice either. Another tip, no pun intended, don't try to make crazy turns. The center of gravity is a bit higher than in cars and more prone to turning over in a high speed turn.

K

<konman>

To go from 4H to 4L you will have to stop and put the car in Drive or Neutral.

Remember to drive your SUV with caution -- higher center of gravity makes them overturn easier than cars; SUVs accelerate pretty well in all kinds of weather conditions, but stopping them in the rain or snow might be a challenge. When I cover traffic accidents during bad weather -- mostly it's SUVs and 18-weelers.

Happy motoring in the New Year!

B

<badlt>

Check the visor...there should be a big yellow sticker that explains the 4WD operation in your particular vehicle.

U

<Unregistered User>

Run over to the dealership. It's a new truck, tell 'em the manual is missing. They should be happy to give you one. Every 4wd truck is different and has its own quirks - you should read the manual to be sure.

Tippster

The Fly on the Wall
4 wheels slip on ice as easily as 2. Jus because you're in 4wd on a highway doesn't mean you can go 70 in a snowstorm.

Don't believe me? There's a place called Minturn Junction on I70 just west of Vail, CO that's a bridge, curve and exit at once. More accidents on that 1/2mi stretch of highway than anywhere else in the US, and all because Tourists rent an Excursion expecting to be able to drive like they're still in Dallas.

Slow down.

[ December 29, 2004, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Tippster ]

Terry E. Toller

Tippster, you beat me to it.

4 wheel drive does not mean you can go anywhere you want. You can go many places you can't with out it but you can still get stuck.

If you are in the ice much, put chains on all four wheels. You will still slip and slide but it won't be as bad.

If you drive into mud or sand, KEEP MOVING! I have had to pull alot of folks out who would stop half way through a bog. You can't do that...

SandRat

Don't leave it in four wheel drive if you have a locking differential. When you turn a corner in a regular car, the outside wheels spin slightly faster than the inside wheels. If you have a locking differential and you try to make a turn on dry pavement, the wheels will travel at equal speeds, causing massive torque on the axles and drivetrain that the car was NOT built for.

... as for the 4WD v. 2WD. Hogwash. A quality 4WD will easily outperform 2WD vehicles in slick conditions, ice, snow, mud, sand, gravel, and on and on. Even deep, muddy bogs can be driven through with a 4WD Blazer. Try it with 2WD.

Currently, my news car is a 2WD Mercury Mountaineer that gets stuck in gravel and sand that I could ride my mountain bike over. With my personal vehicle with 4WD(less expensive car), I've driven through muddy creeks with water up to the windows and made it through without too much trouble.

[ December 29, 2004, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: SandRat ]

Baltimore Shooter

When driving a 4WD drunk, it's easier to crush smaller cars (like mine!). So in other words, DON'T drink & drive. Now back to your regularly scheduled post.

Warren

Dan R.

Sunday night I shot traffic on icy roads in southwestern PA. I filmed an SUV slide off the interstate, despite ABS. His wheels weren't locked up, but he was still sideways and ended up in the median. I saw a new Mercedes in a ditch on I-79 (likely with traction control, ABS, the works) and heard reports of a Hummer that rolled after sliding off I-279.

There's not much that does any good on ice.

M

<Minnesotan>

Am I the only one who finds it funny when I see those big expensive cars crashed or in a ditch(when no one's injured of course)?

Terry E. Toller

No, it's people who think because they have 4WD that they can go anywhere that are the problem. There ARE limits and you need to know how to drive them... A 4X4 WILL skid on ice! If you are in heavy ice all the time, you will do best with chains on all fours but you will be slow and noisy...

[ December 30, 2004, 04:21 AM: Message edited by: Terry E. Toller ]

Status
Not open for further replies.