wireless transmitter/mic problem

Fisher

I'm having a problem with my wireless transmitter and my shotgun mic. Both are brand new so I doubt the problem could be wear. The shotgun is a Beyerdynamic 86SII and the wireless system is a Lectrosonics UH 400A transmitter and a UCR401 receiver.

The mic makes a crackling noise when you touch the transmitter or move the mic. I dont have this problem when the transmitter is connected to an RE50 stick mic... only the shotgun.

I adjusted the the phantom power on the cube to 5V which seemed to help some. I am using phantom power in the cube to power the mic. There is a AA in the mic but the power is off.

Any ideas? I'm at the end of my rope.

Charles Fisher
General Assignments Photojournalist
KTRK-TV

Dan R.

I had this problem with my Sennheiser and it turned out to be corrosion on the battery terminals. I had to take the battery out and scrape the contacts. Batteries were new, but a previous set corroded the terminals just enough to cause problems. With mine you didn't even have to touch the transmitter and it would intermittently do it.

Necktie Boy

Sounds like there might be a grounding problem with the Beyer. How does the Beyer work with a cable? Same problem? Or works fine. On my old ME 80, I have to have the switch on to have work.

The Daywood

I had a problem on my Sennheiser with a Lectro cube, and it was just that it wasn't a tight enough fit... There was just enough play between the mic and the cube to make a difference, and actually, the play ended up being in the mic...The mounting for the XLR terminal on the mic was loose...

You're saying both are brand new, but every once in a while, things come out of the factory just a bit below tolerances...Worth a check...