XDCam SD to HD promo

Status
Not open for further replies.

must-c-tv

Came across this and found it interesting - maybe Sony is finally understanding that cameramen are getting pissed off with all the different formats and cameras becoming obsolete as fast as computers.....

The devil is in the details, as always, so I wonder how much 'credit' will be given....

But still, this makes the XDCam suddenly a lot more interesting for me from a financial perspective.

--------------------------------
SONY XDCAM SD TO XDCAM HD 2/3” EQUIPMENT TRADE UP PROMOTION

Make the move to tapeless with eligible XDCAM SD equipment and protect your investment with the option to move up to a high definition tapeless solution with XDCAM HD 2/3” equipment in 2007!

And the beauty of this move now is that it will be the same workflow between XDCAM SD and XDCAM HD 2/3” equipment and will use the same current Professional Disc media!

With the purchase of any eligible XDCAM model from an authorized Reseller, the end user will receive a “XDCAM SD to XDCAM HD 2/3” Product Trade Up Certificate” from an authorized Reseller at time of purchase.

This Certificate will entitle the end user to trade in their XDCAM SD equipment purchased from the Reseller and receive a credit, less depreciation, to be applied toward the purchase of XDCAM HD 2/3” equipment from Sony when available, but at least 18 months from the end user’s date of purchase of the XDCAM SD equipment.

Projected availability of this XDCAM HD 2/3” equipment is June, 2007.

http://www.vmivideo.com/Newsletter/archive/sony_xdcamupgrade.html
---------------------------------------

FOCUZ

I kind of get what that means, but it still isn't a firm number, right?

They could still charge 20 grand for the upgrade.

Am I reading this right?

must-c-tv

not sure myself ....

haven't looked at the fine print.

I'm away for much of January - if anyone calls their local Sony guy after the holidays, and gets more details, please post.

Let's say, in theory, if I was to buy an SD XDCAM next week, use it for 18 months, and get a guaranteed 75% of that purchase price towards an HD upgrade, that might be worthwhile financially.

But I suspect a 75% credit is unlikely. Depreciation alone is most likely 20% as soon as I walk out the door with it.

If I only get 50% or less, I might hold off until the HD version comes out. I can't see my main clients switching to SD XDCam that fast in the next year or so.

The SD camera may sit on the shelf, and the 50% cost(which equals about what for the PDW 510 - approx $12,000 ??) may be wasted.

Seems to me Sony want to 'hook' their customers into this format. Nothing wrong with that - the format seems to have lots of benefits.CBS News overseas is already there, and NBC News overseas is going the XDCam way in the near future.

Maybe Sony sales reps are getting a lot of feedback that customers are passing on the SD version and waiting for the HD?

Just guessing.....

Anyway, this is the first time I have ever heard of Sony doing a credit/upgrade deal.

What's next - leasing? :)

[ December 29, 2005, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: must-c-tv ]

freedom

Without any guaranteed tradeup value, it's kind of useless. But I wouldn't expect them to put a value on the trade because they can't know the condition of the camera in 2 years.
If you can make money with an SD XD then go for it. I'll bet the tradeup wouldn't be as good as selling it yourself in 2 years.

Ed_Scott

Originally posted by freedom:
I'll bet the tradeup wouldn't be as good as selling it yourself in 2 years.
If there is even a market for the SD version. I'm going to find out what the trade up value is. I'm sure Sony will cap it at some number and I'm betting it's around 18-20k

Dedline

This seems to make pretty good sense to those trying to put off the HD move as long as possible, while letting them go tapeless right now. I'm worried about getting an SD tapeless camera now and then having to get an HD camera before my SD is fully depreciated or in the middle of it's lifespan. This Sony deal offers some comfort against that. The trick is, what if the 2/3" HD model isn't available by their deadline of June 2007? That's quite a commitment to make, plus they'll need to quote an approximate price for 2/3" before I'd go into the deal.

Skipcam

A good rule of thumb for depreciation is 2% per month (of the original purchase price). That would put my guess at 36 per cent off original purchase price at the end of 18 months.

joecam147

Have any of you guys ever dealt with SONY directly on a a single camera purchase before ? Prepare to grab your ankles and gnash your teeth because they don't give a bleep about people that want to buy 1 camera, they only care about people that want to buy 100 cameras or more...and tape machines or disk recorders or whatever they're pushin. I think anybody that bit on that lame deal would be a fool. Don't bother trying to figure how much 'they' will give you after all is said and done, I'd say chances are better they would claim to have never heard of you and offer you 2% on a new format they haven't come up with yet but are working on right now. Its like buying a car with three wheels but when we come up with the four wheel version have we got a 'deal' for you. Don't do it. Hey, I saw a D2 machine on ebay for $25.00 anybody interested ? That's a fine SONY product, ask somebody who has been in post since the late 1980's what they paid for that.

Baltimore Shooter

When I was buying my D600, Sony was offering a trade in deal where they'd they'd buy your camera back when you trade up to a Digibeta, as long as you get a loan through Sony. I didn't qualify for their financing so I didn't get their deal. And it was so long ago I forgot the details.

Warren

Status
Not open for further replies.