AWESOME WINTER WEATHER VIDEO FROM DENVER

Status
Not open for further replies.

FTOJRLST

KUDOS are in order for the awesome video from the winter weather in Denver.

It was shot by Josh White (got a nice mention in the package) at KDVR and was re-run again on our weekend special here in NC.

If you haven't seen it you need to. The story is about a section of icy sidestreet where unsuspecting motorists find themselves caught in a slippery situation. The camera kept rolling on cars careening out of control down the hill, rearending the previous car to find the ice.

This scenario happened again and again and again.

There are great pictures of people bailing out their cars before the moment of impact and nice moments of realization from passengers who realize that they too are about to be smashed from the rear.

This story should be, probably will be, a nice spot news winner in whatever contest Mr. White enters it into.

GREAT JOB Josh!!!!!

Tell us how you stumbled onto that street and that story!

SeagateNews

Yeah, same here...what were those people thinking, jumping out of cars to avoid less injury?...((shaking head))...people are stoopid...

hamcam

Up here in Canada eh... we know better than to bail from a moving car for just a fender bender. I could not beleve it. What about the person that was about to be pinned between the two cars?

Great job!

:cool: :cool:

J

<Just a thought>

While we all want to congratulate the fine shooting, might it have been a better use of ones life to go ahead and perhaps try to warn people of the impending danger as opposed to "lying in wait" for the great video ??

Just a thought

2gigch1

I have not seen the video though I can just imagine it was great, however our anonymous poster does pose an interesting moral query: when do we abandon the role of observer and become participant?

I think this is one of the great dilemmas of our profession. I am not asking when you have or produce anecdotes, I ask what thought process or moral basis to you make decisions upon.

Personally I find I am pretty quick to intercede when my actions will significantly improve a situation, when there is no-one else to help. Not that this happens often, in reality it is quite rare. But I'm still fast to phone authorities, provide some help or comfort someone until others arrive, then begin shooting.

I guess I just feel I have an obligation as a human first then as a shooter. That is not an indictment upon anyone else's actions, just an indictment of my own.

I cannot pass judgement on video I have not seen, but I can imagine that I might not have produced the same results based on my inclination.

How say you?

A

<Another Anony>

I thought that was Josh verbally warning the lady to get out of the street. Is it his job to risk his life for some idiots that can't drive; besides they would probably run him over if he went up the street waving his arms. Ever hear of target fixation?
Great video none the less. Followed all the action like it was a sporting event!

NEWSSHOOTER3

That video was AWESOME! What the hell was he supposed to do? The street was a sheet of ice! He did his job and then some. He did warn those in immediate area and danger.

Terry E. Toller

I love that video! Great job!!!

Seeing those people bail out of their cars got me laughing so hard, I had tears in my eyes. And the girl who landed in between the tracks was the best!

It always amazes me that so many STUPID people end up at the same place at the same time...

Great job! I hope you enter it into some clip contests...

F

<ftojrlst off line>

I am of the opinion that there were plenty of people on the scene that it wasn't his responsiblity to warn anyone of anything. All of the people who had wrecked previously weren't injured and had nothing better to do...they could have walked to the top of the hill and warned people not to make the turn.

2gigch1

Like I said, I have not seen the video. If indeed there were more than enough people there to do the job then by all means roll tape!

SeattleShooter

Aired here in Spokane as well.

I was in a situation where there was a huge amount of standing water over a roadway right out from where I lived. I was not working nor did I have a camera. I wanted to help people from not driving through because a number of cars attempted to pass and they ended up with their mid doors in water. There were closed signs and everything but they still came driving through. As I was trying to flag people to stop and not pass, no one would stop. One after another, car after car, each one drove into the water covered road. The fact is, people are going to do what they are going to do. Some listen, but most do not. What are you going to do? I will tell you this, you will never know what you will do till you are right there in the thick of it. Sometimes you will find that your actions are useless. If you try and try but no one hears your call, why the hell should you keep doing it. I would have rolled and not blinked an eye. But then again, I do not know what I would do until it happens to me. Just my thoughts.

SeattleShooter

One more note, some news is only possible because of the stupid people in this world. (Like the ones jumping out of a moving car to avoid a small fender bender.) They don’t listen, so that is why we shoot them. But we try to get in a few good stories of the "not so stupid people" in between those stupid people. :D

I agree with Kurt, but as long as they were attempting to stop the drivers! As a photog, I try my best to be a ghost, where I just do my job and no one sees me, but that does not work very well.

JTFCM

Caught it here in "Beer-town" too, loved it! Keep up the good work.

Just proves that people, in general, are nothing more than cattle. Just following the heard.

U

<Unregistered User>

Originally posted by <Just a thought>:
While we all want to congratulate the fine shooting, might it have been a better use of ones life to go ahead and perhaps try to warn people of the impending danger as opposed to "lying in wait" for the great video ??

Just a thought
I haven't seen the video myself, but from the description it sounds like it was shot down at the bottom of the hill. It's likely that there would have been no good way for him to get up to the top where he could warn the motorists, if the street was that icy.

Salty Dog

Thanks for the link Seattle.

The photog should get a video award and all the drivers should receive Darwin Awards.

Status
Not open for further replies.