CBS Atlanta News

Guy Critique

It is a great place with ownership that has money to make it work.
If you have a great attitude and want to be great in a great city, this is a good place to be.

Chicago Dog

Meredith has money??? Well I guess compared to Tribune.
Actually, it's nice knowing that among all the bad news, there's still stations looking for shooters. The hiring manager at CBS will have their work cut out for them, that's for damn sure.

your boy

I hope it does go to someone deserving. The fact that it says three years experience, and send a paper resume to HR worries me though. Newsshooter 3 are you doing the hiring?

NEWSSHOOTER3

Umm...

I hope it does go to someone deserving. The fact that it says three years experience, and send a paper resume to HR worries me though. Newsshooter 3 are you doing the hiring?
I am involved in areas of the hiring process. In fact, all of our photojournalists are encouraged to be a part of filtering through the candidates. I am not the individual who makes the final decision.

NEWSSHOOTER3

Well...

Meredith has money??? Well I guess compared to Tribune.

Money? Oh, I don't know, but... we just upgraded to P2HD. We're getting brand new light kits. They, just today, flew in Doug Burgess to put on a (paid & catered) workshop for all of us. The reporters are having a workshop next week. And, we're hiring several positions, including one, maybe two, photojournalists. Meredith seems to be doing alright to me...
:rolleyes:

newsismylife

CBS Atlanta News is currently seeking qualified photojournalists. The ad specifics are located in the jobs listing, here, and I'll be more than happy to answer any questions, via PM...

Cheers-
Let me ask: What are the pay scales like in the Atlanta market? Can someone please answer this. The new equipment is obviously nice and is probably really needed though.

With Atlanta's growth over the years, I'm curious as to what the shooters make in the market. Are there take home cars, trips out of town? Give me the skinny please.

NEWSSHOOTER3

Yes.

Let me ask: What are the pay scales like in the Atlanta market? Can someone please answer this. The new equipment is obviously nice and is probably really needed though.

With Atlanta's growth over the years, I'm curious as to what the shooters make in the market. Are there take home cars, trips out of town? Give me the skinny please.
We are one of three locals with take home cars and we do travel, but maybe less than some are used to, or maybe more...

newsismylife

This mid 40's is a good starting point, plus skills & experience.

Question:

Will this (or can this) particular station or others in the Atlanta market pay more based on prior experience or salary?

Let's just say for arguments sake that someone had well over 20+ years of experience and is paid a lot more than mid 40's. Will any of the stations meet or surpass that current salary, or is this mid 40's number all that is permissible under the budget?

Just wondering.

And finally, what are some of the top base salaries in Atlanta?

NEWSSHOOTER3

$$$ ???

Not only am I not in a position to discuss salary specifics, I also haven't the slightest idea what anyone in this market makes. The mid 40's is a good jumping off point. Everything else is based on your experience, your reel, your skills and, most of all, your attitude.

But, if I had to guess... you're not going to come in here, probably work nights & weekends, and make 60K+.

your boy

I think I would give them back their catered lunch, and their 1500$ lowel kit and ask for a livable wage for a top ten market. It sucks that 45,000 is seen as acceptable. Yes, I know that a lot of us have made less or do currently but that does not make it right. We have been so eager to please all of these corporate wanks that we have let them pay us sh:t. That forces more and more talented people to leave the business. Leaving the talent pool thin and underpaid. No wonder we are being seen as replaceable.

What format should I send my tape?

NEWSSHOOTER3

Interested or not?

Probably doesn't matter. :)
:)

Well, this has gone just about the way I figured, sadly. Look, I'm just trying to get the word out, as I know there are a lot of qualified people trying to put food on the table. So, like I said, if anyone out there is seriously interested, please feel free to PM me.

BTW- This is NOT the same environment it was when anyone last applied here. New management, new direction, new attitude.

AB

:)

BTW- This is NOT the same environment it was when anyone last applied here. New management, new direction, new attitude.
[/FONT]
That's good Newsshooter, you seem to have a terrific attitude and that does count in this business.

In all fairness, you started this thread. Yes it is with good intentions, especially since there are guys and girls out there looking to put food on the table in this economy. I have no first hand knowledge of your station, but it's past reputation is not strong. The "new management, direction" theme has been echoed before.

Hopefully it sticks and you guys have a solid shop. I just think there needs to be a little truth in advertising for this position.

I see Guy Critique is putting in a good word for you guys as well. He was here a few years ago talking about the positive attitudes and such when he was hiring. I don't even think he lasted two years.

Every station has its problems and you're right, you do need people with great attitudes and management with a commitment to help turn things around.

But before someone decides to pick up their life and go to this nirvana, they should have an idea of the history of this shop to help make an informed decision. That does not mean ripping the station up and down, but it does mean telling people about all the new managers and directions the station has gone through in just the past decade.

Last edited: