Gannett "Vacations"

Buck

Forced, unpaid "vacations"

You should have given this a better title so it gets the attention it deserves. Here's another article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/15/business/media/15paper.html?_r=2&hp

nparsons

I didnt believe it when I heard it on the national news tonight. Crazy. Wonder how the cross-town boys are taking it...

Lensmith

This to me is a key part of the New York Times article...

"...Gannett, which owns 85 daily newspapers across the United States including its flagship USA Today, said it could not say exactly how many people would be required to take time off, or how much money the company would save. But it said it would require unpaid leave for most of its 31,000 employees in this country."

A perfect example of a large corporation, based on the printing press, using it's broadcast arm to help maintain some type of corporate life-support for the dying print side of the operation.

I'm not saying all broadcast companies, like any business today, aren't having to make tough choices. However the companies like Gannett, Hearst, Tribune and others who grew up as newspaper/magazine companies, are robbing Peter to pay Paul in what I believe is a losing battle for them to stay alive as a viable business. They don't want to accept that the days of using a printing press for mass distribution of it's news content, are quickly coming to an end.

Chicago Dog

I'd much rather be out of work for a week than out of work.

An interesting point was brought up elsewhere: how are they going to pull this off with contracted employees? They don't get paid $X per week -- they get paid $X per year.

If the company doesn't meet that amount, they breach the contract, don't they?

Rack Focus

The article says "most employees". I'm guessing that they asked people with a contract to voluntarily take time off and some accepted it and some didn't. I can't see how they can force someone with a contract to lose a week's pay.

FTOJRLST

Gannet would be smart to offer their employees a way to receive compensation for that week off by deducting 2% of the employee's weekly gross pay and allowing that money to be paid to them on their week off...even if the week off is in the first quarter and it takes the whole year for the employee to "save" the money.

Technically it's just a way to boost morale in a bad situation and help out the lower level employees who may not have a weeks pay saved up in case of an emergency. (which is a bad idea btw)

Gannet would be smart to offer their employees a way to receive compensation for that week off by deducting 2% of the employee's weekly gross pay and allowing that money to be paid to them on their week off...even if the week off is in the first quarter and it takes the whole year for the employee to "save" the money.

Also known as the Sinclair plan!!! At least it was a choice at the Sinclairs and not a mandate.

marstaton4

I personally would enjoy it, I've got other sources of income which I would recommend everyone else try to come up with as well. I look at it as free insurance for a week while you have the option to work on more lucrative things.

AlexLucas

Okay, here we go-

Did I not say that Gannett was going down, and using VJ was a method to control that?
I think this proved my point only weeks ago.

And the other thing.
Gannett should split.
Newspapers one company.
All other profitable ventures the other company.

It's the only way to survive when the anchor rope catches a loop around your ankle.

Frank McBride

And the other thing.
Gannett should split.
Newspapers one company.
All other profitable ventures the other company.

It's the only way to survive when the anchor rope catches a loop around your ankle.
I don't know if that is common, but that is exactly what Belo did not so long ago. We are now seperate from the publising side of Belo, but we got the existing debt as a parting gift.

FMc

PhrozenPhoto

EW Scripps did an interesting split this past summer. They spun all of their cable channels (HGTV, Food Network etc.) off into a different company from their Newspaper and Broadcast television divisions, which for years and years funded the upstart cable nets. Of course it is truly hard to judge in this economy, but the "old" stock is damn near zero in worth now. When I left the company the stock was near 100/share, which they then did a 2 for 1 split, bringing the price down to roughly 50/share. It kind of hovered in the 40-50 range for years, and I think that was the original goal of the split, to help the cable nets which were experiencing tremendous growth try to profit from it. When they split I think the publishing/broadcasting arm was "revalued" at roughly 8 dollars, and the "new" division was valued at roughly 42. They've both now tanked in this economy. the "old" Scripps now at a whopping 2 bucks on a good day, and the "New" Scripps at 22 bucks. Gotta love this economy!

big daddy

i work at one of gannett's stations and i get to take my unpaid "vacation" here in the next few days....

for employees under contract (producers, some managers, some reporters and of course the anchors) get to decide whether they want to take the time off or not........

and yes, agreed, my parent company should split up......

Rack Focus

Do you at least get to choose when you take your "unpaid vacation" or do they tell you when you're going to take it?

Silverado61

Does anyone know if it has to be a week all at once, or can it be done 1 day at a time just as long as the week ias used up by march.

If I had the choice i would prefer like 5 4 day weeks instead of 1 week all at once.

Sean-1966

It's crap like this that makes me sick. Where do they get off giving unpaid time off to the employees and then spending a ton on a golfing package. Where is the justice??

Last edited: