Osteo, Chiro, PT or Massage Ther.?

BluesCam

Hello. I'm dealing with multiple muscle spasms in my back. 5 weeks now.
I've been to my MD. They did x-rays and said the spine was ok.
I've been to a massage therapist once and it helped some.
I'm now considering Chiro or Osteopath or PT.

Any suggestions from those who have had this?
I can't really do any run and gun now.

Thx.

newsshooter

I've had back issues for years. PT seems to be the best. I'm always visiting chiropractors and getting massage. They seem to help for a short period of time then it starts to hurt again. I also need to find a good PT. I hear they help rebuild the muscle. Stretch and lift weights. You have to stay in shape.

Run&Gun

I try to get a massage once a week when my schedule allows. Also, try stretching. It really helps, too.

2 Hungry Dogs

It all depends on what the nature of your problem is.

Massage and Chiro work for a sort time. But my Chiro told me my problems were related to weak Ab muscles, and Pilates should help. My massage therapist told me I needed to stretch my abs more.

When I do either, I have less pain. I don't really know why I don't do it more often then I do..

Baltimore Shooter

Several years ago I had a major issue with my back. I could hardly stand up. It was taking so long to get out of my chair and stand up straight that I was like an 80 year old trying to get out of a chair. I had a week long shoot coming up the next week so I had to go to a chiropractor and I got straightened out in 2 visits over the course of 3 days. I was able to do the week long shoot. I didn't want to have to turn that over to someone else.

Do yourself a favor and go to a chiropractor now. When you're feeling better, start doing exercises that help to build your stomach muscles. That has really helped me since I started doing them regularly in 2007.

Warren

adam

If you're going for massage I'd get shiatsu.

I can't say enough good things about mat pilates for photogs. It's like it was designed for us. Mat, of course, being a bit different from the traditional pilates with the stretching gadgets nautilus looking machines. Mat pilates can be done at home pretty easily but I'd recommend going to a course first because there are some critical nuances that an instructor can help with.

cameragod

If you're going for massage I'd get shiatsu.
Just remember as with any deep tissue massage give your body a day to recover before you go back to work or you can do more damage.

My cousin is a very good chiropractor but is scathing of his industry overall. Make sure you ask around and only go to someone who comes highly recommended.

newsshooter

Some Chiros will take 10 minutes to adjust you then throw you on the electro therapy and send you out the door. I found one chiro that does the adjusting then spends time to do massage on the sore areas then re adjusts the problem spots. She does the therapy but does more and spends more time with you. We are all saying the same thing with the stretching and staying in shape. It's something I need to remember to do.

satop

after you get your back working again....either by chiropractor or massage(I recomend chiropractor) ....remember to keep up on some kind of regular workout. even if it is just 30 minutes of jogging or riding a bike 3 or 4 times a week.

As someone who has a bad back since high school, staying in shape is very important, but also one of the hardest things to do. I know how easy it is to stop going to the gym for 2 or 3 days because of a busy schedule, then it becoming 3 weeks before getting back there!

Good Luck.

BluesCam

Very good advice Satop. I forgot that I wasn't young anymore. I will be working on the exercise.
I had a problem with plantar fasciitis for three years and could not take long walks. The heel is better
now, so it's time to re-tune the whole system. Thanks.

Baltimore Shooter

Damn Satop, you stole my thunder, lol.

I was going to say the same thing. I've been feeling a lot better since I started working out about every other day - 30min on the Elliptical and 30 min on weights.

Some nights I don't want to exercise but I drag myself to the fitness center and make myself do it. Its easier when the fitness center has a TV that I can watch while on the Elliptical, that helps to make the 30 min go by faster. Though I wouldn't recommend having a sit-com or The Simpsons on while lifting weights. Its hard to lift when you're laughing.

Exercise 3-5 times a week and you'll notice the difference in about 3 to 4 weeks. You'll have more stamina, the camera won't seem as heavy and you'll cope better.

Yeah, took me a long time to learn that too.

Warren