Tulsa, KTUL What's the deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

<Camerajockey>

Are is there always an opening at KTUL? Is it a frozen position? Someone always quiting or getting fired? Is it worth sending a tape? Are they ever going to hire anyone?

Info Please

I

<In the Know>

There are two openings. One guy moved over to sports and the other one got a job back home in Milwaukee(sp?). The past few people that left had been there three or four years and they got great opportunities in great markets. Nobody has been fired, laid off, or positions frozen. They have either gone to bigger markets or closer to home. They have had two guys come back to work for them and rumor is they are in talks with a guy that left last year that wants to come back.

If you want to work for a photography department that will make you a better photographer and help you reach your goals send a tape.

E

<extvtog>

KTUL is a great place to work. I only left to pursue another career not because of KTUL, but because of personal reasons. I remember that all the other photogs had been there a long time. There did not seem to be any turn over. I loved working there. If I had the chance to go back into TV, I would beg to work there again. By the way, who went to sports? What kind of vehicles are you guys driving these days? Do you guys have any new toys? I don't know if Jess H. is still working the morning shifts. If you're there Jess. Matt T. says hello.

I

<In the Know>

Dave Harrington left to shoot sports in Phoenix. Tim Carson moved from news over to sports. Ira Klusendorf is going to Milwaukee.

dan bach

I really learned quite a bit during my run at KTUL.

If they had paid a little more, I probably would have stuck around a little longer. Some of my best stories have come from the Tulsa market.

That being said, I can't really speak for how it is these days...it's been 9 years since I've left. However, from what I'm reading...there's still good things going on up there.

What ever happened to that highly overpriced piece-of-crap "Fast Video" unit that I carried around, but never really worked?

[ December 25, 2004, 01:31 AM: Message edited by: dan bach ]

KTUL used to be a great place to work, but a couple of people in charge are running people off at an amazing clip here lately.

The photography crew is rarely full staff, not because Bobby Farquhar is a hard person to work for, but because the equipment is old and the pay is low. He is a wonderful man to work for and is fighting an uphill battle with the higherups. Every station in Tulsa is non-linear, except KTUL and 8 also has the oldest cameras as well.

Upper management wants news to win, but is unwilling to pay the price to do so. People leave because they are tired of picking up the slack for those coworkers who are not qualified for their jobs because management can pay them less.

No new toys to advance your career or capture your interest and low pay in the salt mine is what keeps the revolving door spinning.

SandRat

I haven't worked at any station that was full staff for more than a couple of months. It's a transient business where people are always looking to move up or get closer to their families.

Regular job openings are not necessarily a harbinger of a 'bad' stations.

I

<I Know also>

They have lost 2 of their better 'togs. Ones going to Milwaukee and the other left for an asst chief job in Minny. Not sure who will step up now. There's no one nightside to compete with now. Not sure how one of them even got a job there. But hey that's my .02

I

<IK>

I know this post has died off, but..... I'm one of the ones leaving.

To answer the original post. Yes there are 2 open positions at KTUL. As stated in other posts, Dre left to be Asst. Chief at FOX in Minneapolis. I am leaving to take a job closer back home. This has been the “Big” plan since I started working in this bisuness.

I grew up in Chicago. With that being said, here is my take. Before I moved to Tulsa, I knew nothing about it. Heck I thought thimble weeds blowing through the streets downtown were common. I was looking to take the next step and knew I had to move away from the Chicago area. Trust me when I say, Tulsa wasn’t even on the radar. I knew someone that work at KTUL. He knew I was looking to make my next move, but Tulsa? The only reason why I took the job was because it seemed like a great place to learn. They send someone every year to the NPPA workshop as a shoot & edit. They have a mentior program. If you wanted to learn they were there for you. This was the main reason why I took the job. Ok they had a sat truck, chopper, take home gear, truck (Tahoe), travel, full light kit and a buttload of support gear. I just got a copy of my check-in list at it’s 4 pages!!! Plus plenty of overtime if wanted

I’ve always said that if your looking for a place to grow, KTUL is a great place. This was always a stepping stone. I took advantage of what KTUL had to offer. The people are great. The Photog staff look out for each other. I was able to get help when I asked or when I didn’t. If you want to learn, the Chief, (Bobby Farquhar) will do what ever he can. He’s drop what he is doing to help me out. The rest of the staff will also.

I encourage anyone looking to take the next step to check out KTUL. I know too many friends that take the first job that come their way to get out of a bad situation. Then they end up in something worst. I was able to take my time to find the job that I wanted. I picked one market and one station that I wanted to work for in the entire nation. I was in a good place and was in no rush to leave.

If you can get over the fact that it’s “Tulsa” It’s a great place to work. The city itself surprised me. Cheap cost of living. I bought a nice three bedroom 2 bath 2 car garage house in a nice area for under 90k. Hell you can build a house here for 100k. I encourage anyone to send a tape.

The people really do look out for each other at KTUL. I’m sure some of the guys remember this; I was there about a year. I don’t remember the situation but I know I was putting in a lot of hours and was switching schedules. It change a couple of times. I thought I was off but I was supposed to be working. So here I am doing the things I need to do on my day off, running around town. I left my cell and pager at home. When I come home I have a 5 messages on my home phone, my cell is blinking and my pager was beeping. O crap something’s going on at work, must be spot news. I check the messages and pages. They all say “call in, where are you, are you ok.” I called in say hello they ask if I’m “ok? do I need any help”. I have no clue what was going on. The desk yelled. “He‘s on the phone, He’s OK!“ They acted as if I died. I asked what’s up. They told me that I worked today. O Crap!!!! They called everywhere thinking I must have been in an accident since I wasn’t at work.. They had people calling the PD. Sent a producer to my apt. ect.. They stopped short of doing a cut-in. So here I am thinking I’m in deep doo do. The Asst ND gets on the phone and the first thing he said was Thank God your ok. Told him I thought I was off. He laughed and shortly became the butt-end of some jokes. They asked when I thought I worked, told them and they said ok, see you when you come back. This is when I knew this place really does care about each other.

OK OK OK, enough chatting, send a tape, you won’t be sorry

IK

Jesster

Tulsa is a great place to work..I have been here at KTUL for 4 (almost 5) years. Now that I work the morning shows (5-7a and 9a) I really enjoy my work days. KTUL in particular is a great station with some really great people, both in news and elsewhere. The lines of divsion that are apparent in some stations don't exist here, at least in my opinion. All departments get along, news isn't in a civil war with production, and everyone is friendly in and out of work.

KTUL photogs aren't leaving because they are fed up with the place, most leave to go to bigger markets, be closer to family, and some get out of news altogether. All of us wish that the cams were better, but life goes on and you deal with what you have.

Bobby is a great chief to work for and he makes sure that you have everything (short of a new camera and I know that he wishes for them too) that you need and is a great guy to hang with too.

You could do a lot worse than KTUL and I enjoy being here. I am from Oklahoma and have lived in TX and Iowa, but I am home now. I am a lifer! :cool:

Jesster

Not bad. It was a raise from Davenport IA. I have been here almost 5 years and with cost of living adjustments, raises, whatever you want to call it, things are easier. My wife has a good job and that helps too. I am not getting rich here, but I have a house and a pretty comfortable existence. I am not traveling the world every summer, but I love to water ski and there are some good lakes nearby. Plus I am back at "home" in Oklahoma. :cool:

Lense_Cap

ya know... if OK would change just a few of it's laws it would be better... for instance, you can't buy regular beer at the convenient store. It's specially brewed to be at 3.2% by volume as opposed to 5.5% or 6.0. And if you want the stronger beer you have to go to the liquor store and buy it... WARM. Now where's the logic in that??? I guess it's better than beeing a dry state (though I'm told there are still dry counties here somewhere). And aside from being the buckle of the bible belt, there are loads of great sights to see and the geography is about as diverse as you get anywhere in the US. We have praries and plains of course, but we also have mountains and hills, rivers and lakes, forests and deserts, farms and cities. I like it here, (prepare for jab) but then I'm at KOTV... heh :)

I

<IK>

Originally posted by Lense_Cap:
ya know... if OK would change just a few of it's laws it would be better... for instance, you can't buy regular beer at the convenient store. It's specially brewed to be at 3.2% by volume as opposed to 5.5% or 6.0. And if you want the stronger beer you have to go to the liquor store and buy it... WARM. Now where's the logic in that??? I guess it's better than beeing a dry state (though I'm told there are still dry counties here somewhere). And aside from being the buckle of the bible belt, there are loads of great sights to see and the geography is about as diverse as you get anywhere in the US. We have praries and plains of course, but we also have mountains and hills, rivers and lakes, forests and deserts, farms and cities. I like it here, (prepare for jab) but then I'm at KOTV... heh :)
Here's a tip is you get into town. Become friends with Lense_Cap. He's got a sweet place off Grand lake. Biggest lake in the area.

Another note. The photogs in this market respect each other. We look out for each other out in the field.

Shootblue

Ahh Grand Lake. You too can swim in poultry farm waste! And who can forget the exciting politics of Delaware county!

Lense_Cap

Originally posted by <IK>:
Here's a tip is you get into town. Become friends with Lense_Cap. He's got a sweet place off Grand lake. Biggest lake in the area.

Another note. The photogs in this market respect each other. We look out for each other out in the field.
Actually it's on Hudson... I guess I should have told you about that sooner huh? Oh well... I can't wait for you to visit so i can be your paintball target again. :) And yes, the competition is very friendly in Tulsa.

Trybe One

i worked in tulsa had a slight chance to
work at 8 but bobby took to long in the hire process. the term "you snooze you loose".
went to work at ch. 2 works for you, then the cheif took off to fox and took me too fox also.
now i am in Atlanta. Great Place Tulsa-!
Good shooters, but i do warn you dont expect an overnight hirinng process at ch. 8.. Bobby is real pickey...Not a bad thing though, wants someone for the long haul...Good luck..

E

<eagle eye>

If he wants people for the long haul why is there so much turnover? And why are some of the cameras are almost as old as the inexperienced kid reporters that the bosses are hiring? KTUL is in disarray. The photogs here are putting on a brave face. There has been a talent drain going on for some time and ratings are dropping like a rock. Management is starting to do desperate things. All is not well.

Jesster

Nothing wrong with being picky and choosing the correct people, how many stations have you worked at with "flaky" photogs that weren't a great fit? I believe that great photogs have worked here and moved, while great photogs still work here and do fantastic photography. Hiring people isn't overnight and I agree with you that the process should be an analytical one that doesn't include just rolling dice or throwing darts.

Why so much turnover? People long for home (not okies), bigger markets with more opportunity than tulsa (big shock--how scandalous), spouses get new jobs, want to see the country (still young and can move on a whim), you name it. Besides, define "so much turnover"? The whole photog staff didn't quit. As it is in TV, or at least in my experience, people leave in groups. My last market (Davenport IA) had 6 or 7 leave in 18 months. 2 producers left news, 4 photogs filled positions in bigger towns--including me, and a few reporters left to go to new markets. They didn't leave because they were mad or spiteful or resentful, but because TV is a mobile job.

Status
Not open for further replies.