Vegas anyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

jajack71

I've been hearing about the great migration to Vegas. I want to know the pro and cons of working there. Anyone know anything about KVWB/KFBT?? Working conditions, Pay, cost of living etc.....

ewink

KVWB is Sinclair.

I wouldn't work there, but to each his own.

Cost of living here is a little higher than most places, but everyone from the east coast says it's nothing, so I guess it's where you are coming from.

I get paid enough to live comfortably, but then again I don't work for Sinclair.

I have never ever seen them at any breaking news, except hours after it happened (and coincidentally already aired on the other four stations).

It's a busy town. Lots of breaking news here, so if you like that kind of lifestyle, come on.

Do a search on Las Vegas and you can find detailed information about the other stations as well.

Tim78

But you used to work for Sinclair, ewink...

Of course, I used to work for Nexstar.

At one point, I was going to send a tape to a station in Vegas, but never did.

(Sin)ical

I've worked for Nexstar and Sinclair...and I learned my lessons. I found both to be cheap. It's your decision, but I believe there are other openings in Vegas.

[ July 28, 2005, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: (Sin)ical ]

Where's the Audio?

I'm leaving KVBC in a week. We have a few openings. I think it's the best station in town. Moral-wise, it's the best station I've worked for. They take care of their people. I encourage you to send a tape.

(Sin)ical

I enjoyed my time at KVBC. They have a great staff, and that's what made it so great. Many experienced staff there, and that helps you deal with whatever management issues you may encounter. I have an open invitation to come back, and I may still do that some day(when I'm ready to settle down and take the benefits). If there's an opening...I'd give it a shot. KLAS is another option and would probably be my second choice. Pay and morale are competitive at both...and the ratings race will most likely never change. I do have to enter than Fox has just hired a fantastic chief in Don Lyle. I would have any of the chiefs from those stations over to my house for bbq and beerverages anytime(Rich, Matt, or Don.) I should also add that their appointed Assistant Chiefs are included. Stand up leadership in all three!

[ July 29, 2005, 06:42 AM: Message edited by: (Sin)ical ]

McColl

Originally posted by (Sin)ical:
I enjoyed my time at KVBC. They have a great staff, and that's what made it so great. If there's an opening...I'd give it a shot.
AN opening? I wish. Try THREE. Still accepting tapes, gang.

ewink

Originally posted by McColl:
quote: Originally posted by (Sin)ical:
I enjoyed my time at KVBC. They have a great staff, and that's what made it so great. If there's an opening...I'd give it a shot.
AN opening? I wish. Try THREE. Still accepting tapes, gang.
KVBC sucks!

Just kidding. :)

(I'm getting close to 1000 posts, so here comes the pointless padding!)

All the 'Togs I know that work at KVBC all have good things to say, especially about the ops manager.

I will put in props to KLAS as well. We might be hiring (I'm not informed of such things, probably to make sure I stay on overnights where the public can't see me). We're a top notch station with a to notch staff and top notch management.

I cannot think of anything negative to say about KLAS, and not just because I am afraid of being fired. Best place I have EVER worked, not just in tv either.

Avoid 13 though. They have cooties.

Just kidding. :)

McColl

Originally posted by ewink:
All the 'Togs I know that work at KVBC all have good things to say, especially about the ops manager.

Uhhhh....

We don't have an ops manager.

ewink

Originally posted by McColl:
quote: Originally posted by ewink:

Uhhhh....

We don't have an ops manager.
Hrm... Then maybe it's you?

Someone in management there has people thinking very highly of them, which gets major props in my book considering all managers are susposed to be hated! :p

Where's the Audio?

I think all this ops manager talk is about me. I'm not ops. I'm not a manager either. But I am loved by everyone. KVBC is the best station I've worked for. They take care of their people. I'm sad to leave.

Tim78

Hey look, I'm up to post #59......I think maybe I should post more. I registered in Jan 2002. ewink registered in Oct 2003. I must be very behind the times :(

ewink

Originally posted by Tim78:
Hey look, I'm up to post #59......I think maybe I should post more. I registered in Jan 2002. ewink registered in Oct 2003. I must be very behind the times :(
I'm under the impression that you missed the 'just kidding' part of my post.

No need to get uppity. Nothing wrong with 13, I love them very much which is why I must throw a jab their direction every now and then!

Tim78

I'm not getting uppity, not the least!! :)

I'm just making the point that I should post more.

I'm curious though...which Vegas station is the most stable, in terms of staff turnover? Is there a dominate #1 in the market? Or is it neck and neck for news ratings???

ewink

My mistake, Tim. :)

KLAS (CBS) and KVBC (NBC) are sword fighting for #1 constantly. Depending on who you talk to, KLAS or KVBC used to be the dominate and the other one is catching up.

KTNV (ABC) is the loveable third place station, but they are jumping in the ratings. I think they were up in every newscast, primarily the AM newscast (Mark Pfister is a hoot - usually...).

KVVU (FOXY) is fourth, but they are new and only have 2 newscasts. They have the longest local newscast of the four stations (in the AM). They have some good shooters too!

As for turnover, there really seems to have been a mass exodus from Vegas at all the stations. I think FOX just had 3 or 4 openings, though I don't know if they were new positions or not. NBC as McColl said has 3 openings, I think ABC has or had a couple of openings and we just hired 5 new photographers in the past month.

I think everyone just figured that while this is a great news market, it's a shabby place to live.

But anyway, prior to that, and I can't speak for the other stations, my station the average life of our photogs was 3-4 years which I think is decent for a medium market station.

Status
Not open for further replies.