Good Shops

I'm looking for a good shop somewhere withing the 90-40 market range. When I say "good shop", I mean a place with good photogs that I can learn from. I'm looking to make my first move and currently work at a two photog station so I've pretty much been self taught. It's time to move on and learn some new things but I'd like to learn from some of the best. Preferably in the midwest but I'm not hell bent on staying here. Any info would be appreciated.

Lost in Alaska

WHO or KCCO in Des Moines Iowa. They wre 1 and 2 for the small market station of the year the first two years it was in existance. KXLY, Spokane, WA, also in the running for SMSOY.

Those are the first ones that come to mind.

Biglux

Kwch

KWCH in Wichita, KS is by far one the best shops for learning. Some of the guys may give you a hard time, but that is only because they want to see you get better. If your serious about becoming a better storyteller KWCH is the place to be.

micaelb

I love that, "we just happen to have an opening".

We don't have an opening but it could happen at any time since we're for sale. I'm at WHO, thanks for the mention Chris.

Send a tape anyway, I'm always looking.

Tdomi74

MB:
Just be glad you where not part of the crew that got tossed from Crappy Bills in Tampa this summer.

I love that, "we just happen to have an opening"

I learn from the best when it comes to magic.

David Copperfield is my hero!

Stay warm in the Midwest.

Peace

JacobA

WHO or KCCO in Des Moines Iowa. They wre 1 and 2 for the small market station of the year the first two years it was in existance. KXLY, Spokane, WA, also in the running for SMSOY.

Those are the first ones that come to mind.
It's WHO and KCCI, not KCCO. WHO is the nbc affiliate and KCCI is the CBS affiliate. Both are great stations with great photogs and an overall great staff.

A Step Above Productions

WINK Fort Myers FL

Check out WINK in Fort Myers FL - As of now I think they have a few openings. Great place, awsome people. Try to get a bureau gig. I worked with them in the Naples Bureau for nearlly five years and it was the best time of my career.

svp

I just checked out KVUE's website and I think its awesome. Nice to see they have a page for their photojournalist to showcase their work. My hat's off to KVUE.

bluffton

You should check out any of the stations in Louisville, KY (WAVE 3, WHAS 11, WLKY 32, and WDRB 41) They all have great shops and leaders.

Lexington, KY any of the stations there, WKYT, WLEX, WTVQ.

Ft. Wayne, IN WANE, Ronny Harmyer is the chief and WPTA, the chief is Jeff Bowman.

I don't know if there are any openings but they are all decent shops, with great people to learn from.

woodsiecam

WHTM!!!

i can't believe no one mentioned WHTM in Harrisburg, PA!!!

that's where my first jump was to, and it's the best career decision i've made so far. EVERYONE there cares about photojournalism, from the GM to the interns. Hell, the news director is a former Region 3 POY!!! Plus, Doug Legore is still in town there. When he's not teaching, spending time with the family, or watching Family Guy, he'd still love to critique tape.

I would HIGHLY reccommend WHTM. If you need any more info, message me, or Matt Knisely in Minneapolis (another former WHTM photog, who's now chief at the Fox in MN)

1911A1

Any station that has a photog that won an NPPA award is a pretty safe bet.

No, not really.

Many stations trade on past "NPPA glory" and are sh!tholes today.

Some stations have photogs who manage to win from time to time, in spite of the station's otherwise sorry approach to news.

Better to look for stations with multiple, recent winners. At least there you know that there's a better chance that good photography happens somewhat frequently.

If you have any interest in doing good work, I would avoid San Antonio like the plague.